zaterdag 17 maart 2018

One off duo projects: Ray & Porcell and Egg Hunt.

Something I find pretty interesting is side projects in every genre of music. There's something about musicians who go off their regular track and make something next to their current bands that only lasts for one record or even one seven inch.
I would like to write about some duo projects that happened throughout hardcore history. I'm sure there are a lot of solo and duo projects but here are two of them that come to mind and that I have in my record collection:

  • Ray & Porcell: Fame/Broken Glass 7 inch (Revelation Records: 23) (1991)
The infamous drum machine record. Hated by many, loved by many. The first Shelter record was already released when Ray Cappo and Porcell recorded these two songs at Don Fury's in 1991. I got this 7 inch really cheap some time ago and listening back to it for this post leaves me with mixed feelings (as I'm sure it does for most people). These songs aren't that bad but the drum machine Porcell used to record them sounds a bit strange to say the least. Honestly: I like the song 'Fame'. It's well written and has interesting lyrics. On 'Broken Glass' the drum machine is way too present which prevents me from getting into the song.
However, the blueprint for future Shelter songs is pretty much here. Which makes it an interesting record to have in your collection. 


  • Egg Hunt: Me and you/We all fall down 7 inch (Dischord Records) (1986)
Now this is something completely different. These songs are good, the sound quality is awesome, there's real drums on the record and this is the blueprint for a sound and a scene that was emerging in Washington DC, even though the songs were recorded in England as a one off project.
Ian Mackaye and Jeff Nelson went to the UK to visit Southern Records and got asked by John Loder (Southern Records founder) to record some songs while they were there.
This single can be situated towards the end of Embrace (such an awesome band and record...) and some time before the start of Fugazi. 'Me and you' is a great song but 'We all fall down' has to be one of my favorite Ian Mackaye songs (and I have plenty of those!). He had originally written this song for Embrace but the band turned it down. In my eyes this is a blueprint for Fugazi. It starts off with a great and slightly dubby bass intro (which would be an early Fugazi trademark) followed by a verse and a great chorus which has Ian Mackaye both singing and yelling like only he can. I lost my copy of this 7 inch a while ago and had to buy it again as I love to listen to it on a regular basis.
Highly recommended if you don't already have it!



If you know more of these kind of projects please let me know. I'm always eager to learn more.  There's also a ton of solo projects from people in hardcore bands (or who used to be in hardcore bands). There are tons of them and maybe I'll mention some in a future post. There's Wes Eisold's Cold Cave off course ('Oceans with no end' is one of my favorite songs to dance and sing along to with my son) and so much more.

For now: be sure to check out Glitterer, Ned Russin (of Title Fight)'s solo project. It's awesome.
Go listen here.






Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten

Blogging again! (and hopefully sticking with it!)

 Hello It seems ages since I last wrote a blogpost here. In fact, it has been ages! A lot of things happened since I last posted here: I got...